A Servant Leader, Called by God
A man of vision, leadership, integrity and purpose. Bishop Tates is one that allows the total trust of God to control his life and not lean to his own understanding.
Bishop Johnny Tates is a native Houstonian, born to the late Elder Inez & Missionary Vivian Tates, and reared in a Christian home. He is the oldest son and second-born among six children.
He attended Houston Public Schools and is a graduate from Kashmere High School in Houston, TX. He earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering Technology in 1969, a Master’s in Secondary Education Leadership in 1971 and a Master’s in Municipal Planning and Public Policy in 1973. He also is a 1979 graduate of the Moody Bible Institute School of Theology.
He was saved and dedicated his life to the Lord in May of 1979, was called to the gospel ministry in May of 1983, ordained an Elder in the Church Of God in Christ in July 1986 and served as an Assistant to his father at the Faith Temple COGIC on Englewood in Houston until 2000, when he succeeded him as pastor. He served there until 2007 when he was installed as the second pastor at the Powerhouse COGIC in Houston, TX. where he now serves as Senior Pastor.
As a pastor in the Texas Southeast First Ecclesiastical Jurisdiction of the Church of God in Christ, Pastor Tates served as Assistant District Superintendent for the Northeast Houston District from 2000-2007. He was then elevated to District Superintendent for the Northeast Houston District and served ten (10) years in this capacity from 2007-2017. Additional roles and responsibilities would come during this tenure:
- Member of the Executive Leadership Team for the Jurisdictional Pastors’ & Elders’ Council 2009-2016
- Secretary for Superintendent’s Council 2007-2011
- Chairman for Auxiliaries in Ministry (AIM) 2009-2013
- Vice-Chairman, Superintendent’s Council in Texas Southeast First Ecclesiastical Jurisdiction 2011-2013
- Administrative Assistant to the Jurisdictional Prelate as the Chairman of the Board of Jurisdictional Superintendents 2013-2017.
His duties included coordinating activities and information for the 19 Superintendents who facilitated the affairs of more than 136 churches across the east and southeastern regions of the State of Texas.
On November 13, 2016, during the 109th Holy Convocation of the Church of God in Christ, Superintendent Tates was consecrated to the office of Auxiliary Bishop in the Texas Southeast First Ecclesiastical Jurisdiction by Presiding Bishop Charles E. Blake, Sr. in St. Louis, MO. In the following year (2017), during the 110th Holy Convocation of the Church of God in Christ, Bishop Tates was elevated to Jurisdictional Prelate of the newly ratified ‘Texas Greater Southeast First Ecclesiastical Jurisdiction’ (TGSE#1).
Bishop Tates has been married to Sister Lee M. Tates since 1975. They have one son, Pastor Patrick Joubert, Pastor of the Fellowship Church in Ft. Worth, Texas and one daughter, Sis. Chontae Shirley, a special programs coordinator in the Aldine School District, plus five grandchildren of whom they are particularly proud.
- Petroleum Research Engineering for the Shell Oil Corporation off the coasts of Australia from 1967-1970
- Structural Engineering Designer for Bethlehem Steel Corporation from 1970-1982
- Assistant and Deputy Superintendent for the Houston Public Schools 1982-2000
- Deputy Superintendent for the Alief School District 2000-2007
- He retired in June of 2007 after serving over 40 years in various secular capacities.
- Vice-Chair of the City of Houston Water Board (1995-2002)
- Third Ward & Kashmere Gardens’ Redevelopment Councils
- Houston Boy Scouts
- President, The Wills Group Foundation (2001-present)
- International “Be-An-Angel” Foundation
- NAACP Advisory Council
- Inductee, Hall of Fame, Texas Southern University, Houston, TX. (1999)
- Inductee, Hall of Fame, Kashmere High School, Houston, TX. (2013)